Friday 25 May 2012

Quilting at the Radstock Museum

A couple of weeks ago I visited the Radstock Museum to see their exhibition on Patchwork and Quilting. The exhibit includes over 200 quilts spanning the last 175 years and it is pretty awe inspiring. The amount of work, creativity and love that has clearly gone into the making of each piece is breathtaking.

It reminded me why I love quilting - each quilt is individual and often has a story behind it; some quilts used fabrics that had sentimental value and others were created by a group of women investing their time together in creating a blanket for a loved one. And as historical records they are so important, often history covers the actions of men and we are left to guess at the lives of the women who lived in the past. The crafts made and handed down through the generations clearly show the love that was felt all those years ago.

If you are already a sewist or an interested spectator I highly recommend going. I've posted some photos below, although it was pretty busy and the photos were taken on my phone so they don't quite do justice to the amount of detailing and scale of the work. I'll put the rest of the photos up on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/FromeWI).










No comments:

Post a Comment